The Telangana State Seed & Organic Certification Agency and the Department of Agriculture & Cooperation Government of Telangana organized on June 21-22, 2019 in cooperation with the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmer Welfare, Government of India and the consortium of ADT Project Consulting GmbH & German Plant Breeders’ Association the second 2-day workshop on “Post-Harvest Technologies for Better Seed Quality” in Hyderabad, India. The first workshop on that topic was successfully implemented in October 2018.
Both workshops have been conducted in the frame of the BMEL funded project “Indo-German Cooperation on Seed Sector Development”. This time about 90 experts mostly from Indian Seed Industry participated at the event. The technical program of the workshop covered various topics:
- Post-harvest seed losses: causes and management strategies;
- Seed storage management techniques;
- Seed drying;
- Post-harvest seed technologies for soybean, groundnut, sunflower & onion;
- Practical demonstration on sun drying, solar drying & desiccant drying technologies;
- Seed processing and handling in seed quality maintenance;
- Seed storage and deterioration;
- Advances in seed treatment technologies;
- Seed borne diseases and pest.
Speakers from public and private seed sector provided excellent presentations, information and recommendations on the topics. At the end of the second day, a panel discussion on “Future Challenges for Post-Harvest Seed Technologies: Approaches & Strategies” resulted in a very interesting exchange of experiences between the participants on how to apply best practices across the sector. The workshop was very much appreciated by the participants, the speakers and the organizers.