Procedures of DUS-testing and VCU-testing
The aim under this topic is that procedures and technical methods for DUS testing and VCU testing of plant varieties will have been increasingly harmonized with international standards, creating the basis for strengthening the supply of improved varieties and the plant variety protection system.
Tentative activities of the bilateral project under this topic are during the ongoing phase:
• Development of a training concept with repeatable modules for the harmonization and enhancement of DUS / VCU test methods for the selected crop species, including automated methods, rapid determination of varieties using molecular genetic methods, if necessary DUS tests under controlled conditions, data management;
• Carry out at least 9 training courses on DUS / VCU testing procedures in India;
• Carry out at least 6 one-week training courses for Indian experts in Germany/EU (method training for DUS / VCU test procedures and data management);
• Implementation of post-training programs with participants of training courses for the consolidation of application and institutionalization of upgraded approaches (i.e. revision of manuals, practical guides on standard procedures, etc.).
Desired outcomes with regard to the harmonization of DUS-testing
• Make the new Indian PVP system more effective by exchanging knowledge and experiences on DUS-testing procedures and methods and support to the implementation of the internationally harmonized PVP system;
• Building confidence and trust in each others’ PBR system so that results of each others’ DUS test procedure may be taken over by the other countries (Convention country agreement – reciprocal recognition of DUS test for specific crops). Necessary amendments wherever required in the PPV&FR Rules may be proposed for the consideration of the Government of India or vice versa, if necessary;
• This will improve the flow of good genetics (new, improved varieties) to the benefit of farmers, consumers and the economy in general.